By now, you should have heard that you could (legally) watch Jackass 2.5 in the comfort of your home. Just head over to the Jackass 2.5 site (before 2008!), show some ID and success! Paramount Pictures, buffering, Johnny Knoxville, pause, rinse and repeat. Or not.
Tired of the occasional stuttering and frequent pauses, the jackass side of me kicked into motion and came up with an ingenious scheme to download Jackass 2.5 so that I could actually watch it and not wait for it. After I tasted sweet success in this endeavor however, the better part of me came into play once again, which is why you're reading this guide right now.
Tools of the tradeFirst things first. Let's get ourselves prepared. You'll need to download and install the following tools/programs.
- Firefox 2.0 and above
- Video DownloadHelper (Firefox Extension)
- Microsoft SilverLight 1.0 (1.1 may not work)
- Hotspot Shield (only necessary if you're outside the US)
- Flashget Classic 1.73 (older versions will also work)
Get me that Jackass!Once you're sure you've got everything installed, it's time to get into action.
- If you're outside the US, start HotSpot Shield. Next, right-click on its icon in your system tray and click on Connect. A browser window should popup and show Hotspot Shield connecting to its servers. When its icon looks like this , you're good to go.
Note: HotSpot Shield has a server that seems to be mis-configured in some way. Specifically DNS lookups will fail so your browser will complain about being unable to find sites. If you can't visit any site after Hotspot Shield's icon turns green, simply disconnect and reconnect. Pray that you don't connect to the same server (1/7 probability, a bit lower than Russian Roulette) as these connections are made randomly. If you know how OpenVPN works, you can also edit the config to avoid this.
- Next, run Firefox and clear out your cookies. This is to remove the evil jackass_geo_check cookie that you get when you first visited the Jackass site.
- Surf down to the BlockBuster Jackass site in Firefox.
- Surrender your email address to them or use temporaryinbox.com to get a disposable one. After confirming the email address, login (by entering your email address) to begin viewing Jackass 2.5.
- Before it starts however, a short advertisement featuring a spinning globe will get in your way. Ignore it or you could watch it if you really want to. While this advert is playing, click on the arrow beside Download Helper icon (three colored spinning balls) and observe the dropdown menu carefully. You may need to wait a while, but an option called "jackass25_1000k_v1_feature_production.wmv" should appear.
- When that option appears in the dropdown menu, click on it and save it as a text file.
- Open up the text file you'd just saved and copy the mms link (Ctrl+c) inside of it. It should look similar to the one below.
- Now close Hotspot Shield, run Flashget and add a new Flashget download by pressing F4 when the Flashget window appears. Flashget is pretty smart as it'll automatically detect the mms link you just copied (to your clipboard) and paste it into the URL box, so you'll just need to configure the rest of the options as seen below.
- Begin your download by clicking ok.