Offtopic: Almost forgot to mention that this is the daily iPhone update. :) A very interesting development today. Just waiting for someone to package everything together for a full unlock solution. :D
AppSnappRemember the "most easy" one click jailbreaking app that's supposed to be made by the iPhone Dev Team? (Ok, I added the part about it being one click in.) Well, here it is, except it isn't by the Dev Team (I think), not that it matters. :)
Who made AppSnapp?AppSnapp (don't click this unless you want to jailbreak your iPhone :) ),
the easiest way to enable third party applications on your iPhone or iPod Touch running the 1.1.1 firmware
was made by
metasploit, rezn, dinopio, drudge, kroo, pumpkin, davidc, dunham, and NerveGas.
Greetz to the iPhone Dev Team and Nullriver Software.
What does AppSnapp do?Now that the makers of the software have been established, what does AppSnapp actually do? From the features page, AppSnapp
1. Jailbreaks iPhone/iPod Touch on 1.1.1
2. Patches Springboard to load third party apps
3. Activates non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
4. Fixes YouTube on non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
5. Installs Installer.app v3.0b5 on the iPhone/iPod Touch
6. Fixes Apple's TIFF bug, making your device MORE secure than it was without AppSnapp!
The best part? No hacking required!
For those intending to go down the AppSnapp route, the site is quite helpful as it provides an FAQ, features and instructions to access safari on your unactivated iPhone. However, I think you would be better off with the following set of steps I found at Hackint0sh, as you DON'T
Better set of AppSnapp instructions
1. Dial *#307# and press call
2. Erase the numbers previously typed then Dial '0' and press call
3. iPhone will ring, pick up and put on hold.
4. iPhone will ring again, decline the call.
5. Go to contacts, create a new contact and add the following url:
6. Selecting the first url will allow you to go to Preference screen to select a wifi network to connect to.
7. Selecting the second url will bring you to the jailbreak page in mobilesafari
once you get the installer.app on your springboard, upgrade it to the latest version then add community sources and http://rep.frenchiphone.com
install bsd subsystem and anysim 1.1
remove at&t sim and insert your choice of sim. run anysim and unlock. - mercilessly stolen from Hacint0sh user natstuff
If you need pretty pictures to guide you, I humbly suggest [Idiot Proof] Guide to Restore/Unlock ur iPhone (with pics) @ Hackint0sh. You can skip part of step 2 and all of step 3 if you're using AppSnapp.
Does it work? Where to get help?Users report that it works. See TUAW's post about AppSnapp or AppSnapp @ Hackint0sh for user reports and possibly to receive help.
Get AppSnapp here. (don't click this unless you want to jailbreak your iPhone :) )
Final wordDid you realize that AppSnapp makes it possible for you to unlock your iPhone without any PC involved? AppSnapp is a native iPhone app that installs Installer.app (allows you to download and install other iPhone programs). With Installer.app on your iPhone, you can install AnySIM 1.1 to unlock your iPhone.
Update: YouTube and other fixes for AppSnapp.
iDemocracy updatesDrakenza has announced that
iDemocracy will not have a 1.2 version... Rather, we're jumping straight to 2.0!! Why would we do that, do you ask? Because it's going to be so full of new features that we have to call it a major release.. Here's a little little taste: we're officially announcing that we're integrating the mobilestack project with a one-click installation procedure! (See YouTube for more info on this great project).
See mobilestack @ Google Code or just see it in action. :)