October 5th is World Smile Day®, and the theme is "Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile", not that the theme has ever changed. :) The World Smile Day® Website has listed past years' events that others did to make people smile and some smiley faces, but if that doesn't work, I've got a surefire solution for you.
Presenting the winners of the 2007 Ig Nobel Awards! A parody of the Nobel prizes, the Ig Nobel prizes are given to scientific achievements that make people laugh, then think. (Thanks, Wikipedia!) Just see what's in store for you:
Best (and worst) of the rest
Other winners include:
* A Dutch researcher who conducted a census of all the creepy-crawlies that share our beds.
* Spanish scientists who found that rats sometimes could not distinguish between Japanese spoken backwards and Dutch spoken backwards.
* An Australian woman who documented the indexing problems caused by the word "the."
* A Japanese researcher who extracted vanilla flavoring from cow dung.
* A Taiwanese man who patented a Batman-like device that drops a net over bank robbers.
I hope that left a smile on your face, it sure worked for me. :) See what I mean. Visit Ig Nobels honor crazy science with a point @ MSNBC for more crazy Ig Nobel awards.