Great news for everyone with a bricked/hacked iPhone! Hot on the heels of the iPhone 1.1.1 jailbreak that was just announced yesterday, iPhoneSIMFree has released SimFree v1.6 that promises to fix bricked iPhones! Edit: Tested by Gizmodo and looks like it works. ***IMPORTANT:*** It seems that iPhoneSIMFree may cause permanent damage to your iPhone!
SimFree v1.6 relies on the 1.1.1 jailbreak that was developed by the iPhone Dev Team, so you shouldn't need to wait too long for a free software unlock. According to iPhoneSIMFree, this is what SimFree is capable of:
- iPhoneSimFree Unlock works on ALL versions of iPhone (1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.1)
- iPhoneSimFree Unlock works on ALL versions of Modem Firmware ( even the latest 04.01.13_G )
- iPhoneSimFree Unlocked phones can be updated from any version to 1.1.1 safely without bricking your radio and GSM functions (unlike other unlock methods)
- iPhoneSimFree does not patch your devices firmware ( unlike other unlocking methods )
- iPhoneSimFree can FIX all phones that anySim and iUnlock bricked with the 1.1.1 update
- iPhoneSimFree Unlock is restore and update resistant up to and including 1.1.1
From the looks of it, it looks like the bricking may have been on purpose (since SimFree v1.6 is able to reverse the effects) or Apple simply neglected to fix it even though potential bricking was hinted at. I wonder how this would fare with iPhone
***UPDATE:*** AnySIM 1.1 is out! Works for new 1.0.2/1.1.1 iPhones!
If you prefer to stick to 1.0.2, click here or here for tutorials on how to downgrade your firmware and baseband (cell radio). This will fully downgrade your iPhone to 1.0.2 and allow calls to be made as well.